Viterbo University’s website and many of our communication systems such as email and telephone services will be unavailable for parts of Saturday, July 26. In case of emergencies please email

Header Image

Frequently Asked Questions  

What is an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree?

These degrees consist of approved general education courses. Viterbo University will accept these Associate degrees as having fulfilled their general education requirements. There are also opportunities to take support courses to help students who want to continue in a Bachelor’s degree program at Viterbo.  

What is the difference between an Associate of Arts and an Associate of Science degree?

The programs have the same requirements, except the Associate of Science degree program requires an additional Science course, and the Associate of Arts degree program requires an Introduction to Philosophy course.   

What majors can I pursue when I am finished with an Associate’s degree?

You can pursue many majors at Viterbo University with this general education degree; however, Nursing and Education are not considered “bridge” degrees because they have general education requirements unique to their specific majors. What does this mean? This means that once you complete this two-year Associate’s degree (62-70 credits), you can “bridge” into most majors as a junior to complete your final two years of college (62-70 credits).  

Is this a recognized and accredited degree?

Yes. This degree is accredited as part of the university’s overall accreditation through the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Institutes of Higher Education (HLC).  

How long will it take me to finish my program?

It varies depending on whether you attend part-time or full-time and if you take classes during the summer term. You need 62 credits to graduate with the Associate’s degree and 128 credits to earn a Bachelor’s degree.  

Can I transfer into the Associate degree program?

You can transfer up to twelve credits from a previous institution. For example, if you attended Western Technical College previously and completed twelve credits, you could apply those credits towards your Associate’s degree at Viterbo.  

What makes these Associate degree programs unique?

The Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees are unique because Viterbo University and Western Technical College offer the degree collaboratively. Courses are available during the day, in the evening, and online. By working together, we can also offer the courses at a blended tuition rate, and financial aid is available.

If this is a collaborative program, which institution issues my diploma and provides services?

Viterbo is considered your “home school” for this program, which means Viterbo will create your bill, process your financial aid, and issue your transcripts and diploma. You will have an Academic Advisor in the Center for Adult Learning at Viterbo to help with registration and other services. You can use many services at BOTH institutions though, such as the library, computer labs, and health services.