All criminal justice majors may choose to complete an internship designed to prepare them for careers in their desired professions. Students with four years of professional experience in the field are not required to complete an internship.
Our students have held internships in a wide variety of settings throughout the local and regional area.
Examples of recent placement sites include:
- La Crosse City Police Department
- La Crosse County Sheriff's Department
- U.S. Marshall's Service
- Wisconsin State Public Defender's Office
- La Crosse County District Attorney
- La Crosse County Victim Witness Program
- Wisconsin State Department of Corrections
- Wisconsin State Probation and Parole
- ATTIC Correctional Services
- YWCA Mediation and Restorative Justice Services
- Coulee Youth Centers
- Family and Children's Center
In addition, students may choose to get credit for an internship by completing the Law Enforcement Academy administered by Western Wisconsin Technical College Sparta campus. The academy enables students to meet the pre-service training requirements necessary to obtain certifiability as a sworn law enforcement officer in the state of Wisconsin.