Firearms, Weapons, and Explosives Policy
Shooting or Weapons
- Call 911 immediately if you are aware of any weapon on campus – guns, knives, rifles, etc.
- Call Campus Safety at 3911 if using a Viterbo phone; 608-796-3911 or 608-780-1582 if using a non-Viterbo phone.
- If you witness an individual shooting, hear gunshots or are notified of a shooter on campus:
- GET OUT – If the shooting is in your building, get out if you are able. If you see the shooter, run in the opposite direction. Put distance between you and the shooter. (Provide assistance to those with disabilities/special needs. If assistance is not possible, provide their location to emergency personnel.)
- CALL OUT – When it’s safe, call 911. Give the location of the incident, the number of shooters and description. Do not make other calls to allow the dispatcher to call you back as needed.
- HIDE OUT – If you can’t get out of the building, hide under a desk, in a closet, -behind a door and stay quiet. Be prepared to identify yourself to responding law -enforcement officials.
- KEEP OUT – Deny the shooter access by locking or jamming the door shut. Create a barrier. Block windows to rooms.
- TAKE OUT – If there is no other option available then, distract the shooter by -throwing something at them or attack the shooter. Attempt to disarm with any means available.