Online Resources and Services
- Undergraduate Writing Assistance
- Graduate Writing Assistance
- Smarthinking - online tutoring for online classes
- Math Assistance
UNDERGRADUATE WRITING ASSIstance
What is it?
- It is for undergraduate students who work full time or live 25 miles or more from campus.
- Writing specialists will offer help at any stage of the writing process and answer questions about formatting in APA, MLA, and Chicago Style.
- Specialists DO NOT proofread papers but model correct writing practices.
- Comments are restricted to structure, coherence, grammar, punctuation, and usage. Writing specialists do not provide feedback concerning subject content
- The specialist will use the scheduled time to review the paper and email it back to the student with comments.
- Students make appointments by using Genbook or by calling 608-796-3190.
- Appointments are asynchronous (not in real time). Students need not be available.
- Book a half hour appointment for papers four pages or less; book two half-hour appointments for papers exceeding four pages. Limit appointments to one hour/day.
- When scheduling an appointment, choose Online Undergraduate Writing and a specific specialist. Do not choose ‘no preference’.
- Appointments should be made several days in advance. At certain times of the semester, appointments may be limited or unavailable due to high demand.
- After reviewing and implementing the specialist’s comments, students may schedule additional appointments.
- Email your paper to the specialist prior to the appointment.
- Indicate in the subject line that the paper is to be reviewed online
- State the course and number, instructor’s name, and program of study
- Attach the work to be reviewed
- Identify specific concerns about the work
- In papers exceeding five pages, identify pages to be reviewed.
- Smarthinking tutors assist students with course content and writing.
- Students in online classes may meet face to face with tutors in the Academice Resource Center (ARC), if prefered.
- Students in graduate courses may use Smarthinking or the writing assistance provided by the ARC writing professional for grad students.
Visit the Graduate Writing Assistance page for details on the procedure for scheduling an appointment.
The Academic Resource Center's Math Resources page includes resources specific to your class, and has links to other helpful webpages. Also included are workshop schedules and documents.
Online math tutoring with the Math Specialist is available August-May, Monday-Friday from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. by appointment using Genbook.
Additional online math tutoring can be requested using the Online Tutoring Request form. Upon receipt of your request, we will arrange for tutoring services and contact you via email.
For additional Online Services information, contact:
Directoror, Academic Resource Center