Writing Assistance - Undergraduate
What is it?
- Writing specialists will offer help at any stage of the writing process and answer questions about formatting in APA, MLA, AMA, and Chicago Style.
- Specialists DO NOT proofread papers. Rather, they model correct writing practices.
- Comments are restricted to structure, coherence, grammar, punctuation, and usage. Writing specialists do not provide feedback concerning subject content.
- The specialist will use the scheduled time to discuss the paper with the student.
- Students make appointments by using Genbook or by calling (608) 796-3190.
- Appointments are 30-minutes in length. Please limit appointments to one per day and two per week.
- When scheduling an appointment, choose Undergraduate Writing and a specific specialist. If you choose "no preference," the first available sessions will be visible.
- Plan ahead! Schedule in advance to ensure a convenient appointment time.
- After implementing the specialist’s comments, students may schedule subsequent appointments.
APA Walk-In Clinic
- Immediate help regarding in-text citations, references list, paper format, and other general questions.
- Tuesdays and Wednesdays 1:00-2:00 pm.
- No appointment needed.
- CAL students email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For Viterbo's graduate students, assistance is available primarily online. For more details, visit the Graduate Writing Assistance web page.
Punctuation, Grammar, and Usage
- APA Sample Paper
- APA In-Text Citations and Reference Page (PowerPoint)
- APA Style Essentials
- To Put a Header in a Paper
- Formatting a paper in APA Style for Microsoft Word 2010 (YouTube Video)
- Formatting a paper in APA Style for Microsoft Word 2013 (YouTube Video)
- Creating in-text citations in APA Style (YouTube Video)
- Creating a reference page in APA Style (YouTube Video)
- MLA Sample Paper
- APA and MLA Comparison
- The Basics of MLA Format (video)