Summer Commencement (Master of Arts in Education only)
Ceremony Etiquette and Instructions
- A cap, gown, and hood are required academic apparel.
- The cap should be worn so that the mortarboard is level and not cocked to either side or placed on the back of the head. The crown of the cap should come to approximately 1 inch above the eyebrows. The deeper portion of the crown is the back.
- The gown should be pressed and worn with dark shoes. Women should not wear flowers, pins or other jewelry. A simple straight dress without a high neckline gives the best results. Men should wear a white shirt and tie that will compliment the gown. Coats may be left off for comfort. Nothing should be pinned or attached to the gown.
- The tassel is worn on the right side before the degree is conferred. It is customary to change the tassel from the right to the left side after the degree is conferred. The president will direct you when to do this during the ceremony.
- Line up in the Dance Studio (associate and bachelor degree candidates) or the first floor hallway (master degree candidates) under the sign for your degree and in alpha order. Please be in the Dance Studio no later than 10:15 am.
- Committee members will give you a reader card. Carry this with you onto the stage end give to the reader at the first podium.
- Do not carry anything with you, other than the reader card, into the arena for the ceremony.
- Do not chew gum!
- Graduates will be led into the main theatre and to their seats. A marshals will direct you to fill in the rows of the theatre. Fill in ALL seats. All graduates should stand in front of their chairs and wait until the music has finished.
- A marshal will give you a commencement program as you are seated.
- Gentlemen should remove their caps during the invocation and benediction.
- A marshal will indicate to your row when to stand for the presentation of candidates.
- Proceed to the steps on the right side of the stage. Do not wait at the bottom of steps.
- Once your name is read, proceed to the table, accept your diploma cover from the president with your left hand, and shake his right hand with your right hand.
- Move on to the Board of Trustee chair who will congratulate you and shake your hand, then to the alumni representative who will present you with an alumni pin and also shake your hand.
- Continue off the stage, a marshal will assist you back to your row.
- Follow the directions from the marshals for the recessional. Graduates are the last group to leave during the recessional.
- Guests may take photographs at any time from their seats.
- The ceremony will be streamed live via the Web, however, video of the ceremony will not be available afterwards.
Any ceremony participant needing special assistance and/or
reasonable accommodations (wheelchair, physical disability, etc.) for himself/herself or a guest should
contact Jane Eddy at email@example.com
least two weeks prior to the ceremony to make arrangements.
Contact the Registrar's Office
If your names does not appear on the list of Candidates for
Graduation or you have questions about filling out your application for
degree form, please contact:
Nancy Oelke, 608.796.3183, firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact the Commencement Committee
you have further questions regarding the commencement ceremony or activities
surrounding commencement, please contact:
Amy Gleason, 608.796.3182, email@example.com