Healthy Living Week
Get Out & De-Stress!
September 23 - 27, 2013
Schedule of Events
All Week Long
- BYOB - Bring Your Own Banana, 3:00-5:00 p.m. / Franciscan Way (Rain site: Student Union)
Grab an ice cream sunday, a healthy, fun banana recipe and learn about River Watch. Sponsored by Recreational Sports & SGA
- Free Blood Pressure & Blood Sugar Screenings, 2:00-3:00 p.m. / Mathy Center
Sponsored by Health Services
- Free Body Composition Testing, 3:00-5:00 p.m. / Mathy Center
Receive free skinfold (caliper) testing by a skilled personal trainer. Individuals may sign up in advance or stop by the Mathy Center. To learn more and/or sign up, visit the Mathy Center front desk or contact Krista Bonikowske at 796-3123 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Sponsored by Recreational Sports
- Viterbo 5K Friar Frolic Information, 2:00-5:00 p.m. / Mathy Center
Sign up to run, walk or volunteer. Need to get in shape for the race? Pick up a Couch to 5K training guide along with a complimentary water and granola bar to get you started!
Sponsored by Events Management Class & MBA Alumni Chapter
- Call Me Crazy/Love Is Louder Film Screening, 7:00-9:00 p.m. / Reinhart Center 127
The film tells the stories of five individuals and their friends and families, who are dealing with mental health conditions such as depression, bipolar disorder and PTSD. Call Me Crazy tells stories of hope, help-seeking and treatment. A discussion will follow the film screening. Sponsored by Recreational Sports
- De-Stress Day, 1:00-5:15 p.m. / Assisi Courtyard & Fine Arts Center Lobby
- 1- 5 p.m. Turn Back the Clock (Bounce House), Assisi Courtyard
Information Kiosk with Tips & Tricks, Assisi Courtyard & FAC Lobby
Revitalizing Refreshments, FAC Lobby
- 3-4p.m. Knit Your Stress in the Butt, FAC Lobby
Discover a great way to de-stress by learning how to knit!
- 4-5:15 p.m. How to Relieve Your Stress by Christie Harrie, FAC Lobby
Christie is a Wellness Education Specialist with Gundersen Health Systems. Her presentation will provide participants with tools to relieve their stress.
- Outdoor Yoga, 5:30-6:30 p.m. / Marian Courtyard (Rain site: Mathy Center)
This is open to anyone who wants to learn basic self defense. Participants will learn how to be aware of their surroundings and be exposed to various self defense techniques. Sessions will be led by a certified instructor. Sponsored by Recreational Sports
- Lunch N' Learn:Alcohol Poisoning-The Emergency Room Perspective 12:15-1:15 p.m. / Fine Arts Center Hospitality Suite
Presentation will talk about the emergency . Space is limited! Individuals must RSVP at the Student Development Center or by calling 796-3825. Sponsored by Health Services & Recreational Sports
- Throwback Thursday! 3:00-5:00 p.m. / Assisi Courtyard
Get outside, join in some good old grade school activities and grab a snack! Activities include kickball, jump rope and sidewalk chalking. Sponsored by Recreational Sports & Education Club
- River Watch Kick Off Event, 5:30 p.m. / Riverside Park
Join current participants to kick off another year of the great organization and learn more on getting involved. Sponsored by River Watch & SGA
- Ride Your Bike to Viterbo Day!
Free Bike Tune Ups, 9:00-11:00 a.m. / Franciscan Way (Rain site: Mathy Center)
Tune Ups provided by Bikes Limited / Sponsored by Recreational Sports
- Carmel Apples, 2:00-4:00 p.m. / Franciscan Way (Rain site: Mathy Center)
Sponsored by Recreational Sports
- RECtoberfest, 9:00 p.m.-Midnight / UW-L Recreational Eagle Center
Student I.D. are required to attend. Transportation will be provided from Viterbo to UW-L. Sponsored by VU After Dark
Did You Know?
General Health Screening Guidelines
Regular physical exams and health screening tests are an important part of preventive health. Early detection is often the key to successful treatment of various health conditions. Mayo clinic suggests the following screening for those individuals age 19 - 29:
1. Annual blood pressure and weight check.
2. Dental checkup annually.
3. Cholesterol check every 5 years starting at age 20.
4. Eye exam yearly.
5. Women should have a pap smear beginning no later than age 21 and at least every 1-3 years for sexually active women.
6. Women should have an annual clinical breast exam.
7. Physical exam every year.
8. Diabetes check every 5 years until age 45 then every 3 years.
9. Hearing exam.
10. Self breast exams or testicular self exams should be conducted monthly at home.
If you have questions, talk to your healthcare provider about your personal risks.
May the Fest be With You!
La Crosse has been celebrating Oktoberfest since 1961. The annual fest brings thousands of visitors to the La Crosse area for the "party". Unfortunately, many people see Oktoberfest as a time to drink heavily, rather than to celebrate the culture and traditions of the festivities. If you do choose to drink during Oktoberfest, please use the following suggestions to stay safe:
- Don't drink and drive. Always use a designated driver. Students can use the Safe Ride program which is available Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. There is also a designated driver booth on the fest grounds where you can go to find a ride home.
- Use the buddy system, stay with your friends and watch out for each other.
- Keep your cell phone with you at all times.
- Be aware of your surroundings, especially at night. Avoid isolated areas.
- Don't accept drinks from people you do not know. Don't leave your drink alone.
- Eat before you go out.
- Remember, it is OK not to drink.
Enjoy the festivities in a fun and safe way. There are many activities that you can partake in that don't involve alcohol during Oktoberfest. These might include music, dancing, carnival rides and great food at the fest grounds or Viterbo's VU After Dark program activities going on during the weekends for those who want to have fun, hang out with friends and meet new people on campus. Gemütlichkeit!