Viterbo University’s website and many of our communication systems such as email and telephone services will be unavailable for parts of Saturday, July 26. In case of emergencies please email

Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse

Header Image

Getting Help

If a parent suspects a son or daughter may have a problem with alcohol or other drugs, it's time to seek help. 

Symptoms to watch for include the following:

  • Lower grades
  • Reluctant to talk with parents
  • Seldom available in his or her resident hall or apartment
  • Unwilling to talk about activities with friends
  • Trouble with campus or community authorities
  • Serious mood changes
  • Changes-in attitude, in friends, in physical activity level, in hygiene, in hobbies, in appearance

These symptoms may but don't always indicate a substance abuse problem. They may reflect depression or personal crisis. In any case, these symptoms are worth noting.

A first step to getting help is to talk to a counselor. Viterbo's counselor is available at 608-796-3825. Your family doctor may also be a resource. Typically, if initial screenings indicate there is a possible problem with alcohol or other drugs, the next step involves an assessment process to determine the nature of the problem and the nature of the treatment that is likely to be most effective.

Self-help groups exist in most communities and are often a valuable resource. Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous groups serve those abusing alcohol or other drugs. Al-anon Family Groups serve the family and friends of the abuser in their efforts sort through the complicated and confusing realities of caring about someone who abuses substances.