Sometimes it's hard to know what to ask when searching for the right program for you. This web page was designed by nursing faculty at Viterbo University to help you make an informed decision when choosing the best college. Ask these questions at other schools and see how their answers compare to Viterbo. The School of Nursing will prepare you for a position of leadership and service as a professional nurse in a dynamic health care environment.
Q. What is the faculty/student ratio on the clinical sites during the various rotations?
A. One faculty member per 6-8 students
Q. When do clinical rotations begin?
A. Second semester sophomore year
Q. How many hours per week are spent on clinical and lab settings?
A. Sophomore - 8 hours per week; Junior - 11 hours per week; Senior - 11 hours per week first three rotations, 24 hours per week for the last rotation, senior year
Q. How available are faculty to students during clinical time?
A. Sophomore - direct supervision; Junior - direct supervision; Senior - direct and indirect supervision
Q. What are the clinical rotations that each student will experience?
A. Sophomore - long-term care facilities; Junior - medical/surgical, maternity, pediatrics; Senior - advanced medical/surgical, psychiatric/mental health, public health, elective in leadership/management
Q. How long does each rotation last?
A. Seven weeks
Q. How many hours per week are spent in the classroom?
A. 4-8 hours/week of nursing content
We Stand on Ceremony
Since we take nursing seriously and honor our students' commitment to nursing, we take ample opportunity to celebrate the occasions that mark students' progress through the program. We also host annual seminars and symposiums just for nursing students on such topics as unconventional jobs in nursing and transcultural nursing.
- Up to date, fully equipped skills labs and Clinical Simulation Learning Center (CSLC) facilities
- An inviting learning environment which welcomes both male and female students
- An elective study abroad program providing valuable nursing experience in other cultural settings
- A very active and dynamic chapter of the Wisconsin Student Nurses' Association
- Clinical experiences in a variety of settings and specialty areas
- Local chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing
Other Facts About Us
- NCLEX passing rate of 96% for the last 8 quarters (above national average of 88%)
- Job placement rate averages 100%
- Academic Resource Center (ARC) provides study skills, test-taking skills, individual and group tutoring, writing and reading specialists
- Nursing faculty advisor
- Nursing faculty hold a minimum degree of Masters Degree
- Many faculty maintain a clinical practice
- Prior to beginning the professional nursing sequence the following must be completed, acceptance into the School of Nursing program, CNA certification, CPR for the Professional, physical exam with immunizations, criminal background check, GPA above 2.75, and successful completion of the nursing math test through the ARC.