Traditional admission for freshmen and transfers requires admission to Viterbo University nursing major - having met HS or transfer minimum pre-requisites. Traditional Admission will be granted to freshmen nursing students (directly from high school and transfer students) who meet the following criteria:
- Composite ACT score of at least 20
- Math ACT score of at least 18
- Reading ACT score of at least 18
- Science ACT score of at least 18
- Applicants who have English as a Second Language are required to take the TOEFL and achieve a minimum score of 79, unless satisfactory SAT/ACT scores are available
If no ACT data is available, transfer students may be invited to interview and take Viterbo placement exams in Math, Reading, and Writing.
- High school rank in the 55th percentile or higher
- *Applicants with no high school rank must have a high school GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Completion of one year of high school chemistry, or equivalency, with grades of C or better
- Completion of two years of high school algebra, or equivalency, with grades of C or better
Traditional nursing majors will need to apply for admission to the professional sequence of the nursing program once the following requirements have been met or are currently in progress, to be completed by end of semester prior to start of nursing sequence.
Admission Requirements to Professional nursing sequence – Students who enroll at Viterbo, not having been admitted to the program through direct admission, including pre-nursing, change of major and transfer student applicants, may apply to the professional nursing sequence upon satisfaction of the following criteria:
- Submission of a Nursing Program application, and if a transfer student, submission of a Viterbo University application.
- To begin nursing designated courses in the sophomore level of the program, students must earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 and show successful completion of the following courses or their equivalents:
- ENGL 103 or ENGL 105 or ENGL 195
- PSYC 171
- BIOL 104 and BIOL 114 (with grades of C or better)
- CHEM 120 and CHEM 121 OR CHEM 106 (with grades of C or better)
- SOCL 125
Entry into the professional sequence of the program is competitive. If spots are limited, priority will be determined by nursing program pre-requisite GPA.
The priority deadline for the Fall cohort is April 15, with late applications accepted only if space allows. The priority deadline for the Spring cohort is November 15, with late applications accepted only if space allows. The Nursing Admission Committee will review current student records after publication of the spring/fall semester grade reports. Letters of acceptance/denial will be mailed by mid-June for the Fall cohort and by mid-December for the Spring cohort; contingent on final grades in prerequisite courses. The committee will admit the most qualified students based on prerequisite GPA, science GPA and previous academic records. Preference for admission will be given to the most qualified students.
Application for Professional Nursing Sequence
Students who have an interest in pursuing a nursing major and demonstrate potential for being successful, but do not meet the HS or transfer pre-requisites may be admitted to Viterbo as a pre-nursing student. Students will be required to follow a specific course sequence as outlined by the center for student success, and apply for the professional nursing sequence of the program as outlined for a “traditional admission” student when the college course work has been completed.
Bachlor of Science in Nursing (BSN) Program
To request further information about the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program at Viterbo University, contact the Viterbo University Office of Admission, or call 608-796-3010 or 1-800-VITERBO.