Are you interested in majoring in Business, Education, Criminal Justice, Psychology, or Social Work? This event is for YOU! Join us from 8:30 AM -11:30 AM for our VU Preview Day.
VU Preview Event includes:
- Resource Fair
- Admission and financial aid presentations
- Tour of campus including residence halls
- Student Panel
- Free Viterbo swag
Stay for our afternoon session that is designed especially for you! Join faculty, alumni and current students for a luncheon and breakout session from 11:30 AM – 1:30 PM. Learn what sets Viterbo students apart and why employers are choosing their skill sets above other recent graduates.
Business, Education, and Human Services Session includes:
- Special luncheon
- Keynote speaker, Tom Thibodeau
- Breakout sessions
Register for both here: Saturday, November 12
Criminal Justice at Viterbo
Criminal justice provides exposure to many aspects of the legal system and career opportunities in corrections, court systems, law enforcement, and a variety of other fields. Successful professionals in the criminal justice field need to be aware of social issues and demonstrate an understanding of the professional code of ethics and an ability to make decisions consistent with those standards.
Criminal justice majors at Viterbo University receive a comprehensive understanding of criminal justice in the U.S., including the nature, extent, and causes of crime and delinquency; the structure and function of the police, courts, and corrections; and the effectiveness of the policies these agencies use to control the crime problem. Small class sizes encourage interaction, discussion, and more individualized attention, while internships give opportunities for students to gain field experience and professional certifications.
Criminal justice majors at Viterbo develop a sense of the importance of justice in all areas of social life, respect for the human dignity of each individual, and a lifelong commitment to service in our communities. Students learn about the roles that class, race, and gender play in the criminal justice system. With a criminal justice degree from Viterbo University, graduates will have the proper training and development of critical thinking and communication skills to make ethical decisions.
- Internships designed to prepare students for a career in a desired profession
- Opportunity to complete the educational requirements for substance abuse counseling certification
- Active chapter of Alpha Phi Sigma, the national criminal justice honor society
- Many courses taught by current criminal justice professionals or individuals with extensive prior experience in the criminal justice system
- Opportunity to complete the Law Enforcement Academy administered by Western Technical College
"The education received in the classroom at Viterbo accompanied by professors that truly believed in me as a student were invaluable. To accompany that education and confidence with a strong and fitting internship experience set the stage for my present career in juvenile justice."
- Correctional officer
- Police and sheriff’s patrol officer
- Private detective or investigator
- Probation and parole officer
- Security guard
- Victim advocate
Graduate Schools/Employers of Alumni
- ATTIC Correctional Services
- Columbia County Jail
- Family and Children’s Center
- Juneau County Sheriff’s Department
- La Crosse Police Department
- Minnesota Dept. of Natural Resources
- University of Cincinnati
- University of Wisconsin
- U.S. Dept. of Veteran Affairs
- Wisconsin Department of Probation and Parole
- YWCA Mediation and Restorative Justice Services