Fire, Smoke, or Explosions
- Activate the nearest fire alarm (if not sounding).
- Call 911 and calmly provide your name, the building address, and location of fire, smoke, or explosion.
- Call Campus Safety at 3911 if using a Viterbo phone; 608-796-3911 or 608-780-1582 if using a non-Viterbo phone.
- Assist persons with disabilities/special needs and/or provide their location to emergency responders. Notify fire personnel if you know someone is trapped.
- Immediately exit the building, closing doors behind you. Do not use elevators and keep fire doors closed.
- If caught in smoke, drop to your knees and crawl to the closest safe exit. Breathe through your nose. Cover it with a towel or shirt if possible.
- Upon exiting the building proceed to its designated outdoor rally point.
- If trapped in a building, close all windows and doors. Place wet or dry cloth material under door to prevent smoke from entering. Attempt to signal people outside the building. Call 911 to notify responders of your location.
- Never reenter a building until an “all clear” signal is given by authorized emergency personnel.