Why English at Viterbo?
The English department offers three tracks within the major with distinct course requirements:
Common English courses for all tracks:
- Introduction to Fiction, Poetry, and Drama
- Introduction to Literary Studies
- British Literature Seminars (2)
- The History of the English Language
- American Literature Seminars (2)
- Literary Criticism and Theory
- Senior Thesis Seminar
Viterbo English majors often pursue communications-based careers in such fields as public relations, advertising, and journalism. Many English majors prepare for careers as middle/secondary school teachers, or pursue graduate or professional degrees in English, library science, communications, and law.
Students who minor in English gain the analytical skills that come from textual study but also improve their writing through their choice of five courses that comprise the minor.
For more information, contact:
Susan Cosby Ronnenberg, Ph.D.
Department Chair, Associate Professor