Faith Community Nursing
The Faith Community Nursing Resource Center
at Viterbo University, La Crosse, Wis.
Faith Community Nursing—combining the passion of your faith with your profession.
Viterbo's Catholic, Franciscan heritage inspires us to care for the poor and the sick. The Faith Community Nursing Ministry provides a spiritual dimension that is key to health and healing. It is the specialized practice of professional nursing that focuses on the intentional care of the spirit as part of the process of promoting wholistic health and preventing or minimizing illness in a faith community. It also provides a holistic approach for all parish members and may reconnect those who have become estranged from their faith community. The resource center provides a strong foundation for this ministry and assists faith community nurses in their ministry.
The Faith Community Nursing Resource Center will promote the development of faith community nurse programs to meet the health needs of area faith communities. It will assist and support the healing ministries of local congregations through education and renewal activities for faith community nurses.
- To increase the understanding of the role of faith community nurses in the healing ministry of the faith community.
- To provide basic preparation and continuing education for the licensed registered nurses to serve as faith community nurses.
- To serve as a resource for faith communities in initiating and maintaining health counsels and faith community programs.
- To provide ongoing support, spiritual growth and renewal for faith community nurses in their work within a faith community by offering network opportunities, conferences, and retreats.
- A faith community nurse in every congregation.
Silvana Richardson, Ph. D., RN, Sister Grace Clare Beznouz Professor of Nursing at Viterbo University has completed the Basic Parish Nurse Preparation course. She can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nancy S. Danou, MSN, RN, Adjunct faculty of Nursing at Viterbo and Faculty Emeriti at Viterbo University has completed the Faculty Preparation Course sponsored by IPNRC (http://www.ipnrc.org). She can be reached at email@example.com.