Admission and Program Information
Change Your Life, Change the World.
The Master of Arts in Servant Leadership (MASL) degree at Viterbo University, a Catholic Franciscan university, provides an opportunity for individuals to develop and deepen their vocation to engage in competent, creative, faithful leadership that works for the common good.
Application Requirements and Procedures
Applicants should complete the online application form and online promissory note. Submit these along with:
- a letter of reference from a person familiar with the applicant's ability to serve as a leader in ministry, non-profit organizations, or business. Applicants shall direct their reference to complete the Graduate Recommendation Form online at https://clgreports.exchange.viterbo.edu/LetterofRecommendation/LetterofRecommendation.aspx;
- a statement of goals in which the applicant reflects on why she or he wishes to pursue the degree in servant leadership and how she or he hopes to use the knowledge and skills gained through the program in the future;
- an official transcript documenting a baccalaureate degree earned from a regionally accredited institution. Transcripts must be requested and sent directly from the institution to Viterbo University Admission Office, 900 Viterbo Drive, La Crosse, WI 54601. We also accept electronic transcripts from Parchment, National Clearinghouse, and Credentials Solutions. Please select "Office of Admission - Traditional Programs" as your destination, if given more than one option when ordering electronic transcripts. Faxed, emailed or hand-delivered transcripts are not acceptable.
Upon review of all above materials, program director or coordinator will contact the applicant to arrange an on-campus interview. Phone interviews may be done when circumstances prohibit face-to-face interviews.
Admission to the program is determined after review of the above materials. The following will be used to guide admission decisions:
- Demonstration of leadership and service experience in addition to their undergraduate studies.
- Strong recommendations highlighting the candidate's actual or potential gifts for servant leadership.
Probationary admission may be granted to applicants. Removal from probationary status will be granted if the participant successfully completes 12 credits of graduate work at Viterbo.
Participants may transfer up to nine credits of prior graduate coursework into the MASL program. Credit will only be granted for coursework completed within the last 10 years at a regionally accredited university. Requests to transfer credits should be made in writing to the program director by the end of the student's first semester of coursework. Requests must be accompanied by an official transcript from the institution at which prior credits were earned. To be considered for credit, students must: 1) demonstrate the relevance of the prior coursework to existing MASL program learning outcomes and 2) have earned a B or better in the prior coursework.
- MASL degree requirements are located in the Viterbo Graduate Catalog
- Students should refer to their degree audit via VitNet for their MASL degree requirements.
Course Cancellation Policy
In the event that a weekend class must be cancelled due to an event beyond the control of Viterbo University and/or the Master of Arts in Servant Leadership program (e.g., weather, faculty illness, etc.), every effort will be made to reschedule the class. The professor will issue a revised syllabus and make-up coursework.
MASL New Student Orientation
New student orientation is scheduled during the MASL Summer Institute. All new students are strongly encouraged to participate. In the event that a new student is unable to take part an online version is available.