To apply to the Master of Science in Mental Health Counseling degree program at Viterbo University, applicants should complete the following steps and submit the required materials.
- Complete the online application form for admission to Graduate Studies at Viterbo University and submit the application fee.
- Submit the following materials to the Admissions Committee:
- A personal statement outlining academic interests, career goals, reasons for pursuing graduate education, and relevant life and professional experience. The personal statement should be a typed, double-spaced document no longer than 500 words.
- Official transcripts from the institution granting the applicant’s undergraduate degree and from any graduate coursework the student has completed should be sent from the institution. Transcripts must be requested and sent directly from the institution to Viterbo University Admission Office, 900 Viterbo Drive, La Crosse, WI 54601. We also accept electronic transcripts from Parchment, National Clearinghouse, and Credentials Solutions. Please select "Office of Admission - Traditional Programs" as your destination, if given more than one option when ordering electronic transcripts. Faxed, emailed or hand-delivered transcripts are not acceptable. Nine credits of related graduate coursework earned at another accredited institution within the past five years may be transferred and, if appropriate, applied to degree requirements.
- Students must have earned a grade of B or higher in any course accepted as transferred credits, as well as meet other criteria outlined in the Graduate School Catalog. Students wishing to transfer credits must, prior to the first semester, seek permission in writing from the program director.
- Submit official scores from the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) test or GRE.
- Arrange for three written recommendations from individuals familiar with the candidate's educational and/or vocational history and potential. The recommendation form is available as a downloadable pdf.
Candidates whose application materials support their readiness for graduate study in this field will be contacted to schedule a personal interview with program staff as part of the application process.
Candidates will be notified of admittance decisions, and those accepted into the program will then register for course work and attend a program orientation session.