Orientation Leader Information
NOW ACCEPTION APPLICATIONS FOR 2017 Orientation Leaders!
Get to know the Orientation Leaders before arriving to Orientation. Learn more about their favorite Viterbo traditions, favorite meals in The Caf, and see what advice they want to give to new students. Check it out here: 2016 V-Hawk Orientation Days Orientation Leaders (PDF)
View this information as a PDF: Orientation Leader Position Description
JOB DESCRIPTION AND RESPONSIBILITIES
V-Hawk Orientation Days is an exciting program being held August 25 – 27, 2017. The purpose is to welcome all new students to Viterbo University and give them the opportunity to learn about and connect to campus, explore La Crosse, meet other new students, and transition to their new home. Dedicated and enthusiastic student leaders are needed to serve as Orientation Leaders to make this program a success. This position is an excellent opportunity to get involved and welcome new students to campus.
Each Orientation Leader will be responsible for a group of 12-15 new students during V-Hawk Orientation Days. Orientation Leaders serve as guides for these students by aiding them in their arrival on campus. Students selected for this position are expected to:
- Welcome new students and families
- Serve as a positive role model for Orientation Leaders and new students
- Help new students become familiar with campus resources and facilities, such as through a formal presentation during V-Hawk Orientation Days
- Help foster connections amongst new students and to the Viterbo community
- Facilitate small and large group activities as needed
- Establish a fun, caring, and accepting climate in small groups, one-on-one and throughout orientation sessions
- Provide ideas, leadership, and enthusiasm for V-Hawk Orientation Days
- Participate in follow-up evaluations and provide feedback for future programs
Students selected as Orientation Leaders are expected to:
- Attend an Orientation Leader social on:
- Sunday, April 23, 2017 at 5 – 6:30 p.m. (Dinner provided)
- Return to La Crosse no later than Wednesday, August 23, 2016 at 12 p.m.
- If you will be living on campus come Fall 2017, you will be allowed to move into your residence hall on the morning of Wednesday, August 23, 2017 between 8 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Attend mandatory training on:
- Wednesday, August 23, 2017 at 2 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- Thursday, August 24, 2017 at 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Participate and help with all orientation activities starting on Friday, August 25, 2017 through Sunday, August 27, 2017.
- Attend and invite your team of new students to attend the Welcome Back Bash on Thursday, August 31 anytime during 1-3:30 p.m. in the Mathy Center.
- Hold a team reunion activity during the month of September, such as going to Labor Day Weekend Activities or WelcomeFest together.
Orientation Leaders must stay up-to-date with email communication. There may be items requested to complete to prepare for in person training. Students who are Orientation Leaders make a commitment to orientation-related activities at the beginning of the fall semester, and may be asked to assist at the beginning of the spring semester. Being able to uphold the time commitment is a requirement to be an Orientation Leader and no exceptions will be made. Please make sure, before you interview, that this will not conflict with any of your other extracurricular activities, including employment.
- Have earned at least 12 credits at Viterbo University
- Be a full-time undergraduate student in good standing through fall 2017
- Have at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA at Viterbo University at time of application and throughout employment
- Build experiences and develop leadership skills such as serving as a role model, group facilitation, and working as a team member
- Meet new people and build friendships
- Earn 35 hours of community service
- Free food and activities during all of your contracted time commitment
- Move in early if living on-campus
- Receive two free t-shirts
The application form for the Orientation Leader position can be found on the “Application” form on the left side of this website. Within the application, you will also be asked to indicate your interest in the following items (click the bolded links for more information):
- being an Orientation Leader Advisor during V-Hawk Orientation Days
- assisting at STAR in June
- serving as a Peer Mentor during the school year
Your interest in these additional components will not affect your eligibility for the Orientation Leader position. However, being hired as an Orientation Leader is a pre-requisite for these additional areas.
Upon submitting your application, you will be sent information about setting up an individual interview, to be held Sunday, April 9, 2017 through Thursday, April 13, 2017.
For more information, or if you have questions about the position, please contact Marci Kuhrt at email@example.com or 608-796-3120.
Applications are due no later than Friday, April 7, 2017 at 12 p.m.