Orientation Leader Information
V-Hawk Orientation Days is an exciting program that will take place August 24–26, 2018. The purpose is to welcome all new students to Viterbo University and give them the opportunity to learn about and connect to campus, explore La Crosse, meet other new students, and transition to their new home. This position is an excellent opportunity to get involved and welcome new students to campus.
The application deadline has passed - congratulations to the fantastic Orientation Leaders who will make up our O-Leader team this fall!
Please take a few minutes to read over the job description and responsibilities listed below. Questions? Feel free to contact Kirsten Gabriel, Director of Student Life and Orientation, at email@example.com or by stopping by Hawk's Nest 101.
ORIENTATION LEADER JOB DESCRIPTION
Each Orientation Leader will be responsible for a group of roughly 10-12 new students during V-Hawk Orientation Days. Orientation Leaders serve as guides for these students by aiding them in their arrival on campus. Students selected for this position are expected to:
- Welcome new students and families
- Serve as a positive role model for Orientation Leaders and new students
- Help new students become familiar with campus resources and facilities, such as through a formal presentation during V-Hawk Orientation Days
- Help foster connections amongst new students and to the Viterbo community
- Facilitate small and large group activities as needed
- Establish a fun, caring, and accepting climate in small groups, one-on-one and throughout orientation sessions
- Provide ideas, leadership, and enthusiasm for V-Hawk Orientation Days
- Participate in follow-up evaluations and provide feedback for future programs
Students selected as Orientation Leaders are expected to:
- Attend an Orientation Leader Social on Sunday, April 8 at 5:30pm
- Return to La Crosse no later than Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 2p.m.
- If you will be living on campus come Fall 2018, you will be allowed to move into your residence hall on the morning of Wednesday, August 22, 2018 between 8 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Attend mandatory training on:
- Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 2 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- Thursday, August 23, 2018 at 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Participate and help with all orientation activities starting on Friday, August 24, 2018 through Sunday, August 26, 2018.
- Attend and invite your team of new students to attend the Welcome Back Bash on Thursday, August 31 in the Mathy Center any time during the event (1-3:30 p.m.).
- Hold a team reunion activity during the month of September, such as going to Labor Day Weekend Activities or WelcomeFest together.
Orientation Leaders must stay up-to-date with email communication. There may be items requested to complete to prepare for in person training. Students who are Orientation Leaders make a commitment to orientation-related activities at the beginning of the fall semester, and may be asked to assist at the beginning of the spring semester as their schedule allows. Being able to uphold the time commitment is a requirement to be an Orientation Leader and no exceptions will be made. Please make sure, before you interview, that this will not conflict with any of your other extracurricular activities, including employment.
- Have earned at least 12 credits at Viterbo University
- Be a full-time undergraduate student in good standing through fall 2018
- Build experiences and develop leadership skills such as serving as a role model, group facilitation, and working as a team member
- Meet new people and build friendships
- Earn 35 hours of community service
- Free food and activities during all of your contracted time commitment
- Move in early, if living on-campus
- Receive two free t-shirts
The application form for the Orientation Leader position can be found on the “Application” form on the left side of this website. Within the application, you will also be asked to indicate your interest in the following items (click the bolded links for more information):
- being an Orientation Leader Advisor during V-Hawk Orientation Days
- volunteering at one more more STAR days (June 18, 19, 21, and 22). Breakfast, lunch and lodging provided!
- serving as a Peer Mentor during the school year
Your interest in these additional components will not affect your eligibility for the Orientation Leader position. However, being hired as an Orientation Leader is a pre-requisite for these additional areas.
For more information, or if you have questions about the position, please contact Kirsten Gabriel at firstname.lastname@example.org or 608-796-3840.