Psychology at Viterbo
Psychology involves the study of behavior and mental process. Psychology majors develop strong communication, critical thinking, and research skills, which prepare them for a variety of career opportunities. Some students pursue careers in counseling and work with children, adolescents, or adults with mental health and substance abuse issues. Others pursue careers in psychological research and work at universities or private research organizations.
Psychology majors at Viterbo University work closely with faculty mentors to learn about development, emotions, social influences on behavior, the brain, cognitive processes, and mental health. Students participate in mock counseling scenarios that provide hands-on training in communication and interpersonal skills. The psychology degree program at Viterbo also provides the option for students to complete coursework required to become a licensed substance abuse counselor.
With a psychology degree from Viterbo University, graduates are ready for rewarding careers helping a variety of people live their life to the fullest.
- Digital video laboratory facilities for interviewing and counseling training to provide hands-on training in communication and interpersonal skills
- Training in key areas of contemporary psychology: clinical and counseling psychology, developmental psychology, human cognition, social psychology, and behavioral neuroscience
- Option to complete coursework required to become a licensed substance abuse counselor
- Opportunities for internships at local service agencies
- Research projects that develop critical thinking skills
“My favorite thing about being a psychology major at Viterbo was the abundance of opportunities for growth as an individual and as a learner. The professors encouraged individual exploration and related this to our learning within the classroom.”
- Behavioral specialist
- Resident counselor
- Service coordinator
- Substance abuse counselor/monitor
- Youth programs manager
Graduate Schools/Employers of Alumni
- ATTIC Correctional Facility
- Creative Community Living Solutions
- Edgewood College
- Family and Children’s Center
- Iowa State University
- VA Medical Center