Welcome to the Social Work Program
Social Work is a rewarding and dynamic profession for those with a strong desire to help improve people's lives. Social workers collaborate with individuals to discover solutions in their everyday lives that improve relationships and resolve personal and family challenges. Social workers are involved in direct practice and community work with children, juveniles, families, person living with disabilities or mental health challenges, victims and perpetrators of crimes, persons with addictions, and the elderly.The profession is dedicated to promoting social justice and empowerment for all.
Employment opportunities exist in public settings such as County Human Services as well as in private agencies such as family services, youth programs, community services, care and rehabilitation centers, and hospitals.
Why study Social Work at Viterbo?
The Viterbo University Social Work Program features:
- A rigorous curriculum that prepares you for success in social work practice and graduate school.
- Regional reputation for excellence in social work education.
- 91% placement rate in 2014.
- Graduates consistently pass the national ASWB licensing exam at rates higher than national averages.
- National accreditation by the Council on Social Work Education since 2000.
- Completion of a 30-hour per week, 450-hour internship in your senior year at a social service setting working with an agency social work field education instructor.
- Experiential learning including participation in the National Association of Social Workers Advocacy Day joining hundreds of other social workers for a day at the capitol in Madison and a four day trip to Chicago to observe Juvenile Court, visit ethnic neighborhoods, and urban social service agencies.
- Hands-on learning including interviewing and shadowing social workers, observing intakes at the Salvation Army, and completion of an advocacy project. Course related field trips to treatment centers, funeral homes, the Hmong Cultural Center, and regional social service conferences.
- An active Social Work Club that sponsors events, engages in community service and raises money for local causes.
- A Chapter of Phi Alpha, the National Social Work Honor Society.