Transfer Student Admission



Can I visit campus and sit in on a class?
Yes. Students are also welcome to view a course in their field of study. We strongly encourage students to visit campus to meet with their admission counselor, take a tour, and meet with the Financial Aid Office. You can contact the Office of Admission to schedule your individual visit at 608-796-3010.

How will I know if my courses transfer?
Our transfer counselors encourage you to submit your transcripts (official or unofficial) so they can complete an unofficial evaluation for you. In order to receive an official evaluation of your credits, you must be accepted for admission to Viterbo University, and have officially committed to course registration. The evaluation will then be completed by our registrar’s office in time for your meeting with our Professional Advisors.

Does my GPA at Viterbo include prior coursework?
We use your cumulative GPA at previous institutions as a factor in determining acceptance at Viterbo. We also use it to determine a transfer academic scholarship. Once you are a student at Viterbo, your grade point average will only reflect the courses taken at Viterbo. Some majors will take into account grades received in pre-professional courses at your previous institution(s).

Do any particular majors have GPA requirements for admission?
Yes, many of our programs have specific admission requirements. See the specific website for information on the following majors: education, music theatre, nursing, nutrition and dietetics, social work, and theatre.

What are the core curriculum and graduate requirements?

  • Our core curriculum requires students to complete 52 credits
  • Complete all courses required for the major(s) and minor(s), if applicable
  • Earn a minimum of 120–128 credits
  • Earn a minimum of 40–43 credits in upper division (300/400 level courses)
  • Achieve a minimum GPA of 2.0; most majors require a higher GPA
  • Complete your final 30 credits at Viterbo University

What is the difference between an “official” and “unofficial” transcript?
Students are required to submit an official transcript from high school/GED/HSED and all previously attended colleges. An official transcript is sent directly from the attended institution to Viterbo University. Unofficial transcripts are typically sent to us via mail, email, or fax from the student.

When do I register for courses?
New students have the opportunity to register for courses two weeks after returning Viterbo students. New students need to set up an appointment with their respective Professional Advisor to register for courses. 

Is there tutoring available on campus?
Yes, we have an on campus Academic Resource Center (ARC) available to all students. The ARC has student tutors, as well as, specialists in English, writing, and math and is free for students to use.

Am I required to live on campus my first year at Viterbo?
No, transfer students are not required to live on campus. We do offer on-campus apartments as an option for transfer students.

Can I purchase a parking permit?
Permits are available in our business office starting in August of each year. They are required for all commuter/employee lots Monday–Friday. Weekend and evening parking does not require a permit unless you are in the residence lots. Cost of a commuter/employee permit is $30. Viterbo University sells a limited number of guaranteed parking permits to students enrolled at Viterbo University and residing in campus-owned housing. Priority for these permits is given to returning students, based on class level. Resident students interested in guaranteed parking permits must complete an application and submit it to the Business Office. Cost of a guaranteed resident parking permit is $125 ($250 for the Clare Apartments underground garage).