WI Reading Specialist 17
Viterbo University's School of Education prepares educators who are grounded in Franciscan values and possess the knowledge and skills to be reflective decision makers for the 21st century.
100% online program
A Reading Specialist 17 license (previously referred to as a 317) is required for individuals who direct reading programs or work with reading teachers, classroom teachers, administrators, and others as a resource teacher in reading. The Reading Specialist is an administrative literacy leader. The Reading Specialist license is a 12 credit program that is offered entirely online.
Download the Download Reading Teacher (WI 316) and the 2018 Reading Specialist (WI 17) Brochure (82.36 KB)
Beginning FALL 2019
Starting fall 2019 the Reading Teacher 17 program will be a three course, 10 credit hour program, offered fully online.
- EDUC 582 Administrative Supervision and Leadership in the Reading Program (4 credit hours)
- EDUC 596 Reading Practicum (3 credits hours)
- EDUC 597 Reading Specialist Research (3 credit hours)
- State issued teaching license
- Master's degree in education earned OR concurrently enrolled in the Viterbo Master of Arts in Education plus 317 Program.
- Wisconsin Reading Teacher 316 License
- Three years of successful, non-substitute classroom teaching experience
Current Graduate Tuition: $380 tuition per credit plus $10 per credit resource fee for the 2018-2019 academic year. The Reading Specialist 17 add-on licensure program is not eligible for Federal Student Aid, unless coupled with the M.A. in Education.
Apply to the Reading Specialist program: click on the "Apply Now" tab on the left of this page.
Register for Courses: New students will be assisted with registration for the first semester. Contact Mary Beth Sinniger for assistance. Returning students should register online via VitNet. Courses with less than a minimum of 10 students registered are subject to cancellation.
For questions regarding the Reading Specialist program, please contact Jeannette Armstrong.